My Blog List

Friday, March 9, 2012

The Extravagance and Intricacy needed to Assimilate Jargon

Vocabulary is so very important. Vocabulary Lessons: Educational leadership by Blanchowitz and Fisher gave a lot of helpful and interesting ways in which teachers can expose their students to vocabulary which will ultimately create successful readers and educated students.  One example of a way to emerge students into vocabulary words would be by letting students "play with the words" while simultaneously creating a love for words.  I believe it is very important for students to have fun at school and dare I say love school!?  Playing with words allows students to understand how words work and "when learning is fun students become interested in words and see them as objects they can use and examine."  I think that many games could be used in a classroom setting to make reading fun and interesting such as Bananagrams, Scrabble, and even creating words out of bigger words. 
All of the articles seemed to have the same opinion about the importance of vocabulary to young students, The Lane and Allen article "The Vocabulary Rich Classroom" took a similar stance claiming that having a high vocabulary is extremely important and can be a future predictor of reading comprehension, reading performance, and future school achievement.  One of my favorite ideas for expanding vocabulary that I have come across is a word wall.  I think that every teacher should have a word wall to help students with difficult vocabulary words.  Word walls could be used in any situation during any subject matter--history, math, science, English, or even just for vocabulary purposes!
 I wonder if learning vocabulary is as important for older students?
Also, do you think it would be a good idea for each student to have their own personal work wall? (Maybe on the inside of a folder--that way during class activities they could make their own word wall but also have a classroom word wall). 
I don't think I ever realized just how important learning vocabulary is! I think sometimes it is easy to forget that reading is a process built out of many steps, and we must always put ourselves into the mindset of the students as future teachers in order to create students who are ready and able to go into the world and better themselves!  After all, sometimes even experienced readers come across with unfamiliar vocabulary, like in my title!   

2 comments:

  1. I think it is beneficial for people of all ages to learn new vocabulary. I know that sometimes I struggle with reading professional articles because some of the language that is used and I have to look up the word or think about context clues while reading. It makes people better readers when they are familiar with terms. I also love the idea of everyone having their own personal word wall. It would be a meaningful way for them to learn new vocabulary and make learning vocabulary fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personal word walls are a great idea in my opinion. No matter what level students are considered to be on I think everyone can always either work towards a broader more sophisticated vocabulary or continioiusly reinforce it. That leads me to also agree with Emily, students (and people) of all ages can always benefit from learning vocabulary, especially when they are preparing to pursue higher learning.

    ReplyDelete